This episodes guest is none other than Dr. Mike Stone of East Tennessee State University.
Dr. Stone is currently the Exercise and Sports Science Laboratory Director in the Department of KLSS at ETSU. Prior to joining ETSU he was the Head of Sports Physiology for the USOC. From 1999 through 2001he was Chair of Sport at Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland. Dr. Stone's service and research interests are primarily concerned with physiological and performance adaptations to strength/power training. Dr. Stone is also an adjunct professor at Edith Cowan University in Perth Australia, Edinburgh University, Edinburgh, Scotland, and at the James H. Quillen College of Medicine, (Physiology), School of Medicine, Johnson City, TN.
Dr Stone has 140+publications in reviewed journals and has contributed chapters to several texts in the areas of bioenergetics, nutrition, and strength/power training.Additionally, he has co-authored two textbooks dealing with strength and conditioning. Dr. Stone was the 1991 NSCA Sports Scientist of the Year and was awarded the NSCA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2000. He is a Fellow of the UKSCA and NSCA. He has coached several international and national level weightlifters (including one Olympian) and throwers in both the United States and Great Britain.
On the episode Dr. Stone and I discussed:
- Mikes Background and Influences
- The good and not so good things that Mike currently see's within Sport Science
- What excites Mike most about sport science currently
- We discuss Programming and Periodization
- The importance of Training Residuals
- The Transfer of Training
- Training Compatibility of physical qualities
- Fibre Type Transitions that can occur in Training
- The balance between training specificity and variation to attain optimal performance
- Hypertrophy effects on speed development
- Mikes thoughts on Frans Bosch’s work on strength training and motor learning
This was a beauty guys!
To get INSTANT ACCESS to almost 20 hours of World Class online video Strength and Conditioning Information go to upmentorship.com